Thursday, January 13, 2011

100 Books: #9 Quite a Year for Plums

 I'm fond of claiming that I'm not swayed by book reviews, but this is the book that proves the exception to the rule. I picked this book up several years ago because I either heard or read a review that convinced me I'd like this one. I'd never heard of the book or the author and hadn't been book shopping in far too long, so I'd had no occasion to run across it. But someone raved about it somewhere, and their enthusiasm for the book left a lasting impression.

I've never read anything else by Bailey White, but I love books set in small towns. Put that small town in the South, and I'm doubly hooked.Though I only recently moved to the South myself, my dad was born in Arkansas, and my grandmother had enough of the South left in her to create a little tug in my heart for all things Southern. I'm waiting for the day when I stop sweating through the long, hot, humid summers and start glistening instead. Then I'll know I've truly arrived.

The blurb I read for this book promises love, family and idiosyncrasy. Does it get any better than that? I love quirky characters, unreliable narrators, people obsessed by chickens who dream about chicken feet. I'm of the belief that quirky people make the world go round. 

If you've read this book, I'd love to hear your opinion of it. I'll be sharing mine once I've read it. 

No comments: