Wednesday, January 12, 2011

100 Books: #8 A Thousand Acres

Number 8 on my list of 100 Books I Want to Read is A THOUSAND ACRES by Jane Smiley. This is probably the first book I'm hesitant about. The premise sounds interesting: 
A successful Iowa farmer decides to divide his farm between his three daughters. When the youngest objects, she is cut out of his will. This sets off a chain of events that brings dark truths to light and explodes long-suppressed emotions. An ambitious reimagining of Shakespeare’s King Lear cast upon a typical American community in the late twentieth century, A Thousand Acres takes on themes of truth, justice, love, and pride, and reveals the beautiful yet treacherous topography of humanity.
Sounds great, right? I love the themes of truth, justice, love and price, and I don't mind navigating the treacherous topography of humanity. I couldn't be a writer if I shied away from that particular journey.

I love Shakespeare and am fascinated not only by how his work is still relevant today, but by how often modern writers, playwrights and movie-makers remake his stories.

But the thing is, I think I know what the dark truths are in this book, and I'm not 100% sure I'm emotionally ready to tackle this book. Whether or not I actually read this one is going to depend on a couple of factors. First, how I'm feeling when it comes time to start reading; and, second, what other readers have to say about it. Is it graphic? Is it a difficult read? 

If the author handles this subject one way, it could be the very thing I need to read. If she goes another way, it could be a very bad choice. If anyone out there has read it, I'd be very interested in your opinion. 

_______________________________
from the blog On My Mind Today

No comments: