Tuesday, January 11, 2011

100 Books: #7 Magnificent Obsession

I'm not going to lie. I love commercial genre fiction. I write commercial genre fiction. But that doesn't mean that I don't also love classic literature or even literary fiction. I love to read, and my tastes aren't always the same. Which is why I've added MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION by Lloyd C. Douglas to my list in the #7 spot.

I've heard good things about this book, but must confess I know absolutely nothing about the storyline. I haven't even seen the movie, starring Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson. But, hey! It's Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson. How could it go wrong? Plus, Agnes Moorhead appears in a non-Endora role.

I do know that it's supposed to be: 
An engaging and dramatic story of personal redemption and private sacrifice.

Now, I'm all for engaging and dramatic. Nothing's worse than picking up a book that you want to be engaging and dramatic, only to find it dull, repetitive, and boring. I love books about personal redemption and private sacrifice, so this books sounds like it's right up my alley.

Lloyd C. Douglas also wrote THE ROBE, which I've also never read. But I have seen that movie.

So I'm looking forward to reading this one, but I'm also wondering if anyone out there reading this blog has read the book or seen the movie. If you have, I'd love to know what you thought of them.

No comments: