Saturday, October 17, 2009

Counting Down .... 8 Days to Go

The big cross-country move is on schedule. We leave here in just 8 short days. In the past three weeks, I've had my moments of panic--moments when the reality of packing up all I own and heading off cross country on a giant leap of faith seems so huge and overwhelming it takes my breath today. But until today, even during those occasional "What am I doing" moments, this move felt like some kind of dream.

Today, as I arranged to have my utilities shut off -- not transferred as I've done a dozen times before, but stopped! -- the dream became a reality. This move is the right thing to do. I know it. Everybody around me knows it. But that doesn't stop those moments of panic from hitting every now and then. 

Tomorrow, the serious packing begins. My books have been sorted, packed, and donated. Tomorrow, I'll pack the rest of my office.

Tonight, I'm catching up on some of the shows stored on my DVR.

I'm on the fence about NCIS: Los Angeles. I think both Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J are doing a good job. The rest of the cast feels kind if disjointed, and the writing's a little uneven but I'm willing to give them time to pull it together. But this team of government good guys doesn't feel like a team of government good guys. I get that the show's creators don't want it to feel like an exact duplicate of the original NCIS, but sticking these guys in a villa and having them run around like a bunch of hot dogs with no direction and nobody in charge doesn't really work for me.

I've moved The Good Wife off my to-watch list and onto Thanks But No Thanks! The show's trailers made it look like something new, unique and interesting--the life of a political wife in the wake of her husband's public scandal. But that's not it at all! It's just another mediocre lawyer show. Yawn.

I held onto Ugly Betty for a couple of years, but abandoned that one like a rat jumping off a sinking ship. It was charming for the first season, a little tired in the second, but by season 3 I was getting seriously annoyed. I mean, really! Wouldn't you think the girl would learn something about fashion after three years? Become just a smidgen less naive after three years in Manhattan? Not our Betty! And a person can only make the same mistake so many times without coming across as TSTL (too stupid to live.) 

I've also abandoned the Walkers of Brothers and Sisters this year. A cast full of thoroughly unlikable characters doing nothing but arguing week after week. It's sad, really. I really wanted to like it, and yes, I know they're supposed to be dysfunctional, but nobody ever learns anything. Nobody ever changes anything. This week Nora screws up everybody's life by being too controlling. Everybody freaks out. Nora apologizes tearfully, and then she does it all over again the next week. I'm okay with a little bickering, but constant stupid bickering without relief just gets old. I thought about crossing it off my life last year, but decided to hang on to see if the producers would redeem it. They didn't. 'Nuff said.

And now, I believe I've procrastinated just about long enough! More soon. 
_______________________________
from the blog On My Mind Today

No comments: