Monday, March 02, 2009

I’ve Finished my RITA Books!

Every year, members of Romance Writers of America donate hours of their time to judge RWA’s two major contests – the Golden Heart and the RITA. This year, I ended up with 7 or 8 books to read for the RITA (I’ve lost count) and I’ve been reading up a storm trying to finish every book and turn in my score. Last night, I finished the last book in my stack, and I’m deliriously happy.

Unlike past years, this year I ended up with a bunch of books that I probably wouldn’t have picked up to read if they hadn’t been sent to me in my contest packet. I get a few of those books every year. We all do. After all, what are the chances that you’re going to get a package filled only with books you’d pick out for yourself to read?

Like past years, this year I discovered a couple of treasures – books that surprised me for one reason or another. Books I enjoyed much more than I expected to. I also ended up with a couple I didn’t enjoy at all. That’s no surprise, either. It happens every year.

I enjoy the experience of judging books in the RITA contest, even if it is time-consuming and takes me away from my own TBR stack for a few weeks. But I’m also happy to get back to it when I’m finished :)

No comments: