Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Book of the Week - 10/19/2015

This week's Book of the Week is Keeping Her Safe. Originally published by Harlequin Superromance in 1997, it has also been released a couple of times as part of other imprints.

This was my third book for Harlequin and it was one of the hardest books I've ever written. The plot was simply too close to home.

Like far too many women in our society, I was involved in an abusive relationship. I was luckier than some and escaped with my life--but just barely. My kids and I went into hiding for several years after I finally managed to leave and, in fact, it's only been within the past few years that my youngest daughter (the basis for DJ's character) has had any kind of contact with her biological father.

Like Christina, my original plan was to tell my daughter that her father had died or moved away somewhere, but I soon realized that the best way to keep her safe was to tell her the truth. I was driving down the street one day after a conversation with her (she was just 10 at the time) when I began to wonder what might have happened if I had lied to her about her father.

Like many books, this one was born from a What if?  What if my daughter had grown up believing that her father was dead--and then he showed up on her doorstep one day? How would she feel about him? How would she feel about me?

From that, the idea for Keeping Her Safe was born.

Adam was the perfect match for DJ. Strong and trustworthy, with a bit of baggage of his own, he was just what DJ needed--and she was right for him. In writing him as the hero in this book went a long way toward healing some of my old wounds.

I knew the book would be hard to write, but I didn't realize just how tough it would be. I didn't know how to write the scene between DJ's sister, Laura, and Larry Galloway, and my daughters and I ended up doing some roll-playing with the help of a family friend. It ended up being cathartic for both my older daughter and me, but it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done.

Of course, it is first and foremost a romance--a story about truth and trust and the redemptive power of love,

You'll find an excerpt from the book and information on where to buy here.

Happy Reading!!!

2 comments:

stanalei said...

This book is an amazing read. Thank you for writing this story about a difficult time.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that :)