Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Receiving the Emma

I love going to RWA's national conference each year, and when I'm not able to go -- usually for financial reasons -- I spend the entire week feeling very sorry for myself. I love meeting up with friends I only see once a year, meeting my editors face-to-face, participating in the Readers for Life Literacy Autographing, and attending workshops when I can. I love travel, and enjoy visiting new cities or going back to places I've been before. This year, I had a special reason to attend the conference. RWA's Board of Directors voted to present me with the Emma Merritt Service Award, which is presented for: "the accumulated body of work a member has contributed as a volunteer to RWA.The award is not only for service to individual chapters, but is intended to honor major commitments of service to RWA. A member may receive the RWA Emma Merritt Service Award only once in a lifetime." To say that I'm deeply honored is a serious understatement. Even though RWA President Diane Pershing notified me of the board's decision in March, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. My friend, Jude, managed to snap this picture as I said thanks to the luncheon crowd (that gold blob in the lights is me.) And tonight, as I try to decide on the perfect spot on my office wall to hang the plaque, I want to say it again. Thank you! _______________________________ Copyright © 2009 Sherry Lewis

No comments: