Saturday, January 26, 2008

Scott Baio is 46 and Pregnant

I know what you're thinking, but let me explain. Looking for interesting blog topics is getting harder and harder for me. The busier I get, the harder it is to find something worthwhile to talk about. I can't really talk about the inside industry information or all the hot topics raging in the writing world because of my current volunteer position with Romance Writers of America. Next year I get can down and dirty and say what I think. This year, I need to make sure I don't say anything that might be carted off into cyberspace and passed around as some kind of official statement for the organization. Okay so no industry talk. I'm fine with that. So what else? I guess I could talk about writing -- but the book I'm working on has been giving me fits for months. I just can't find these characters, and until I do, there's nothing to talk about except how frustrated I am. Nobody wants to read about that every day. Life hasn't exactly been filled with exciting events to blog about, either. My daughter and granddaughter came home from Missouri (Yay!!!!) Two days later, I got sick with the worst flu I've ever had, bar none. No exaggeration. This flu isn't the stomach flu or the intestinal flu or the flu masquerading as a head cold. It doesn't settle in your chest and make your ribs hurt from coughing. No, this flu is all of the above, and then some. You don't want to hear more. Trust me. So what's a person to do when she's so sick she can't lift her head, can't stop coughing long enough to sleep, and her eyes are too blurry from whatever to read? The obvious answer, of course, is that she turns to the television. What else would any self-respecting red-blooded American do? And since most of the programs I like are in reruns because of the writer's strike, and the new programs all seem to be shows the studios rejected once but are pulling out of the trash bin to fill the empty spots left open because of the aforementioned strike, I flipped through channels until I ran out of energy -- which happened to be in the middle of a reality TV show on VH1. So what better way, I say to myself, to entertain the rest of you than by sharing my thoughts on Trashy Reality TV. I've even made up my own Trash Rating System -- the higher the can count, the trashier the reality show. (Hey, I had to do something!!!!) Scott Baio is 46 and Pregnant is the sequel to last year's smash hit, Scott Baio is 45 and Single, during which Scott apparently sought professional help to figure out why he has never been able to form a lasting relationship. Or maybe it was to keep himself from screwing up the relationship he was currently in -- this with a woman named Renee. I'm not sure why we care, but that's probably because I'm a few years too old to have an appropriate appreciation of Scott Baio. I was more of a Henry Winkler gal, myself, and I seriously never cared whether or not Joanie loved Chachi. But I'm losing myself .... Last year, Scott managed (surprise!) to work through his issues last year and told Renee at the end of the season that was ready to get married. (Wow, didn't see that one coming!) In the midst of the celebration, Renee leaned in to whisper a secret to Scott. I can only imagine that the entire television audience gasped in shock when Scott learned that he was about to become a father for the first time. In the season's first episode of Pregnant, Renee chases after the distraught Scott (gee, thanks, honey. This is exactly the reaction I was hoping for) who is attempting to flee the scene. Keep in mind that the woman has to be ... well, she's not 21. Let's leave it at that. Anyway, she's pregnant, and the father of her baby is this self-centered ass who apparently can't make a commitment to her unless he's being paid by a television studio to do so. While attempting to console him, she makes the mistake of attempting to bring her own feelings into the conversation. This proves to be a genuine mistake. Apparently, the only feelings worthy of consideration are Scott's. He says something like, "I don't have time to care about what you're feeling. I'm freaking out here." Having once been on the receiving end of a similar reaction, this did nothing to endear Scott to me, but I wasn't quite ready to give up on him. In fact, I actually stuck with him to the end of the episode. I'm just not sure whether I did because I found a few specks of redeeming social value in the guy, or because I was too sick to change the channel. My Trashy Reality TV Rating for this show?

No comments: