Thursday, February 25, 2016

13 Things That Start With "A"


Just for the fun of it -- 13 things in my life that begin with "A" 

1. Apple peeler/corer. I don't use it as often I'd like to, but it's pretty much the coolest thing ever.

2. Apple slicer: a handy-dandy gadget that has become my new favorite kitchen tool. You can pick them up for around $5 at the grocery store, and they make coring and slicing apples easy as pie! 

3. Afghans I've crocheted. I don't even know how many there are, but it's something I've always loved doing. I used to have one in the works all the time. Lately, not so much. It's just too hot and  humid here in Florida to have a heavy wool blanket laying across your lap, even in the depths of winter. Still, I find working on a crocheted afghan soothing and hope I can get back to them some day. 

4. Angel. She's not with us anymore, but this dog is still a huge part of my heart. I got her for my youngest daughter after an illness. The dog was supposed to help her heal. Well, she did her job, and then my daughter got married and moved out, and Angel stayed with me until the day she died. She was a magnificent dog, really. She could jump down 5 stairs at a time and sail over an 8 foot fence without even breathing hard. She's still one of my favorite things. Here she is with one of the afghans I crocheted. For some reason the colors and pattern of this one appealed to her, and she claimed it as her own.

5. Autumn. It's the time of year when I was born, and I think it's my favorite time of year. I love the cool nights, the moderating temperatures in the day, the leaves as they change colors, the smell of the soil, the sound of leaves underfoot as I walk. I love Halloween decorations and school bulletin boards, and gourds and squash. I just love it all.

6. Alabama. No, I don't live there, but I live right "next door" and can get there in less than an hour. The part of Florida where I live is less like you'd think of as Florida and more like lower Alabama. .

7. Anne Tyler. She's not really part of my life, but I love her books so she makes the cut. 

8. Amazon: Not because I spend so much time shopping there, but because, since taking the leap into the indie publishing world, I spend a great deal of time there putting books from my backlist up on the site and making them available for sale. It's become a rather large part of my life lately. 

9. Avocados. Delicious, especially when made into my cousin Angie's guacamole recipe. 

10. Alaska. I went several years ago and had a wonderful time. The scenery is amazing and the people fascinating. I hate the signs documenting how many moose have been killed along the highways. It's sad. Beautiful land. Everyone ought to go once.

11. Arkansas. It's where my dad and both of his parents were born. Even though I've never lived there, my ancestry gives me a connection to the state--at least in my own mind. It's also a much prettier state than you might think. Los of rolling hills and thick, wooded area. Apparently also a lot of rocky soil. 

12. Ancestors. I was raised to do genealogy. It's in my blood. I've known the names of my great- and great-great-grandparents.for as long as I can remember. I find doing genealogy fascinating and only wish I could just hop on a plane and jet off to France or Germany or England to learn more about my ancestors like they do on shows like Finding Your Roots or Who Do You Think You Are? 

13. Acadia National Park. One of my favorite places on earth. Admittedly, I'm a National Park nut. It's one of my dreams to visit every park in the US and Canada before I die. Yellowstone National Park is my favorite, but Acadia ranks right up there. It's beautiful. 


5 comments:

colleen said...

My mind's gone blank on A's but you did great with that. I do have an avocado in the fridge.

Ron. said...

Awesome. Absolutely awesome.

CountryDew said...

My great aunt used to crochet afghans. When she was 83 years old she was crocheting them and giving them to me to take to "the old folks home" because she thought the older people might be cold.

stanalei said...

Fun list, Sherry. I'll be you even have a National Park Passport, like me! I don't have Acadia National Park on mine, though.

Ravyne said...

Great A-List, Sherry! I have an avocado obsession! Love National Parks too :D ~Lori~