Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Book Review: Flamingo Diner

Flamingo DinerFlamingo Diner by Sherryl Woods

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I added this book to my to-be-read pile based on the cover alone and didn't realize what it was about until I picked it up to read it. The subject of suicide is a touchy one for me, so I approached it hesitantly. It turns out, I didn't need to worry since that part of the story never actually reached me on an emotional level. I applaud the author for tackling such a sensitive and important issue, but I wanted it to take me deeper into the characters' emotions as they tried to put the world back together again after the family tragedy.

The story was too slow moving for my taste (the heroine vowed to find out why her father took his own life for at least half of the book without ever actually making any attempts to find out anything.) I looked forward to the strong sense of community promised on the book's jacket, but that, too, fell short of my expectations.

As disappointed as I was with the suicide story line, however, I thought Ms. Woods handled the romance between Emma and Matt very well. Their attraction built slowly, but anything more rapid would have felt unrealistic to me.

Not destined for my "keeper" shelf, but not a wall-banger, either :)



View all my reviews

No comments: