Saturday, February 10, 2007

Guilty Pleasures

I've been thinking a lot about guilty pleasures lately. You know what I mean. Those things we indulge in when nobody but our nearest and dearest are watching. I don't mind talking about mine. I learned a long time ago not to do anything I minded admitting aloud
Dismay

My first great guilty pleasure is spending time with my granddaughter. I'm talking about that rare kind of time when I don't think about anything else. I don't worry about deadlines or bills to pay or cleaning house or doing dishes or laundry or anything else that usually crowds into my head. But that's not really a guilty pleasure. It's just a pleasure.

So, okay. What are the guilty pleasures I usually don't talk about? Well, for one thing, I watch TV. I know it's not considered cool to admit that, but I do. I love stories, and I love them in amost any format. My favorites? My oldest daughter has finally (after 5 seasons) convinced me to watch "24." I've tried to watch it in the past, but I always came in mid-season, and as any die-hard "24" an can tell you, that simply doesn't work. If you're going to watch Jack Bauer save the world yet again, you have to watch from the beginning.

Thinking


Mostly I like the show. It's fast-paced (which I find myself liking more and more these days) and it's suspenseful. There are a few things that catch me up, like how Jack can drive through LA in rush-hour traffic (heck any kind of LA traffic) faster than a helicopter can fly to the same location. That was kind of bugging me, so I told myself the helicopter had to come up from San Diego, and that made me feel better.

I also love "Monk" and "House." Tony Shaloub's portrayal of Monk is rich and layered, and I feel the same way about Hugh Laurie's work. I'm also kind of hooked on "Grey's Anatomy." And "Desperate Housewives." And now "Brothers and Sisters." "My Name is Earl," "The Office," and "According to Jim" all make me laugh out loud.

Reality TV? Me? I scoff.
What? You don't believe me? Well fine, then. Yeah, I do watch a little. Sometimes. I guess my favorite is probably "Big Brother," which I watch every summer, and I'll watch some "American Idol," although I'll admit I usually like the early auditions better than the later shows where everyone is supremely talented and I can't make up my mind who I like best. Either that, or I so completely disagree with the rest of America, I'm always annoyed Brows

We're not even going to get into the subject of chocolate. It would take too long.
So what are your guilty pleasures? Inquiring minds want to know!

No comments: